Salary range: £36,275 - £40,831 per annum + excellent benefits
Hours: 36.5 per week
Contract type: Permanent
We now have an exciting opportunity for a Procurement Lead Officer in our Corporate Services / TfWM (Sprint) Teams and are looking for a professional and proactive individual to delivery best practice procurement support and expertise.
The West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) is a strategic authority working with partners to deliver a stronger West Midlands, with a focus on skills, innovation, transport, economic development and regeneration. Individual Councils and Local Enterprise Partnerships will still deliver services and retain their identity but on the big decisions we will have the resources to work together.
This is an exciting time for the West Midlands - the Commonwealth Games will be here in 2022, the arrival of HS2 will help make us a world class business location and a new £350m housing deal aims to deliver 215,000 new homes by 2031.
Sprint is a new concept in rapid transit that is being developed for the West Midlands and will provide a key element of the region’s rapid transit network. Passenger services will be provided using a new fleet of high quality articulated buses which will provide a tram like journey experience. Combined with a range of priority measures, high quality passenger facilities, information and smart ticketing; Sprint will help to transform public transport in the region.
About the role
Procurement plays a key role in the delivery of WMCA’s business objectives. Whilst the Procurement Team provides guidance on policy and best practice, for the organisation we are also responsible for delivering best value solutions for all goods, services and works required by the business. Our services range from setting strategic direction for collaborative and efficient supply chain management to specification development and award of contract.
This exciting opportunity will be based within a dynamic and supportive teams. The successful candidate will work closely with the TfWM Team, the Procurement Manager, Procurement Lead Officers and other members of the wider Governance Team. You will be a Procurement Lead Officer working with the Sprint Team within TfWM to deliver specialist procurement support aiding in the delivery of business priorities and reflecting procurement legislation and best practice procedures. A major element of the role will be the management of the TfWM Sprint portfolio, specifically leading and delivering results on operator, infrastructure and vehicle procurements from early supplier engagement through to contract award and contract management.
This is an excellent opportunity to build upon existing procurement experience and knowledge in the context of an energetic public sector environment.
To succeed in the role you should be able to demonstrate knowledge/experience of the following:
• Purchasing experience is essential; demonstrates the ability to develop procurement strategies (using appropriate tools and techniques), lead on engaging and evaluate tender responses, undertake bid conditioning and bid clarification, debriefs suppliers, award contracts, manage supplier relationships, supplier performance and undertake supplier and contract management activities.
• Knowledge of transport sector desirable
• Strategic sourcing knowledge and experience essential
• Negotiation experience desirable
• Previous experience working with EU Public Procurement Regulations essential
• Experience of computerised financial systems is essential.
• Experience of e-tendering systems is essential
• Ability to build credibility with key stakeholders and obtain their ‘buy in’
• Experience of influencing senior management to accept and endorse proposals, procedures, systems and methods of working
• Able to effectively present information, proposals and ideas whilst engaging the audience and clearly communicating the benefits of change
• Communicate and negotiate with third parties, external stakeholders and others with a relationship with WMCA to ensure the optimum outcome
• Track record of ability to deliver against targets essential
• Proficiency using Microsoft Office, Outlook and similar systems
In return for your hard work and commitment, we will reward you with a range of competitive and attractive benefits.
To view and apply for this opportunity please visit https://jobs.wmca.org.uk/ where you will be required to register with our Online Recruitment System which is quick and easy. Please provide detailed information in your application outlining your suitability for the post and ensure it is submitted by the closing date.
A CV may be uploaded for extra information, but please note that personal details should be omitted and a CV alone will not be accepted.
Closing Date: 10th December 2018
Interviews held: 20th December 2018
The selection process will include a presentation exercise plus an interview
We are committed to equality of opportunity in service provision and employment. Our recruitment policies, procedures and practices enable all applicants to be considered on merit and ability to do the job. We will make reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act, for disabled applicants if these are needed.